Job location: Khartoum, Sudan
Starting date: As soon as possible
Vacancy closing date: 27th June 2021
Duration position: 12 months, with the possibility of extension
Working hours: Fulltime
We are here for our neighbours in need, who are suffering in this broken world.
ZOA, as an international NGO, supports people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster. Together, we can come to their aid in emergencies and remain faithful to communities as they recover – providing new opportunities for them to help themselves again. The work of ZOA is coordinated from the Netherlands. We are active in multiple countries in Africa, South America, the Middle East Region, and Asia. We work with approximately 900 employees worldwide and with (local) partners. We invite you to join our team of committed colleagues.
ZOA is looking for a
Senior Compliance Officer
ZOA’s programme in Sudan
ZOA started working in Sudan in 2004 in response to the Darfur crisis. In 2010, programmes in the East of the country were also opened. Currently, ZOA has six offices and a portfolio that varies from humanitarian emergency to developmental projects. Main sectors are Water, Food Security and Livelihoods, Peacebuilding, and Education. Adaptation to climate change, migration, gender and conflict sensitivity issues are mainstreamed.
The Senior Compliance Officer contributes to the overall success of the organization by closely working with the program team in overall donor grant management. The Senior Compliance Officer provides support to program team during donor proposals, budgeting, financial reporting of assigned grants and donor projects and provides financial support and training to program and partner staff in line with donor regulations and organization policies and procedures.
Your main tasks and responsibilities
- Liaise with internal and external auditors for the smooth running of project audits. Due to a peak of work between July 2021 – August 2022, this part will be a major assignment;
- Identify internal constraints which undermine compliance within program and operations, and propose corrective measures, review the current approaches available on assessing, measuring and mitigating risks;
- Design tools and propose risk mitigation and compliance measures in key operational areas;
- Participate in donor proposal development preparing budgets and providing other required information;
- Coordinate, review and follow up financial and audit reports of consortium members and their budget revisions requirements;
- Consolidate consortium financial reports. Follow-up actions points with consortia and local partners;
- Prepare donor and internal financial reports in a timely manner;
- Review donor narrative reports for accuracy and consistency with financial report;
- Ensure compliance with donor grant requirements and internal policies and procedures;
- Introduce lessons learned from external grant specific audits and general audits;
- Ensure that guidelines for financial management of ZOA are developed and maintained.
The Senior Compliance Officer reports to the Director of Operations.
- The candidate is expected to fully support the vision, mission and Christian values of ZOA.
- University degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance or related field;
- Experience in administrative and financial management of large-scale, complex, international and donor-funded programs;
- Experience from donors such Dutch Foreign Ministry, EU, FCDO, USAID, Sida and various UN-agencies preferable;
- Professional accountancy qualification (CPA or ACCA), preferred;
- At least five years of experience in financial management, internal control and related monitoring processes and systems, including some years of international experience.
Skills & Attitude
- work effectively under pressure and to manage competing priorities;
- work in a team and link up with external auditors, partners, internal ZOA Staff (advisors, management and field staff);
- see the big picture while focusing on the process and procedures that are necessary to produce deliverables;
- meet deadlines; and
- effectively defend compliance to ZOA and donor procedures.
- written and spoken English; Arabic an asset; and
- interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Attention to detail and numeric accuracy;
- Flexibility and thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- Intermediate to advanced software expertise (Excel and accounting software);
- Willingness to travel to the field offices, as required.
- R&R is not offered for staff based in Khartoum.
Do you need more information?
For more information about ZOA, please visit at our website www.zoa-international.com.
If you have questions about this vacancy, you can contact Heline Wielink-Bisschop email email@example.com
Interested and you want to apply?
ZOA operates with an equal opportunities policy and is committed to diversity in the workplace. Qualified women and men, people of all nationalities, and cultural backgrounds, and candidates with disabilities are welcome to apply.
If you are interested in this position, please apply directly via the button below.
CV’s of no more than 5 pages in length are appreciated.
Please provide at least 3 references related to your previous employment listed in the application. References of previous positions held should not be older than five years.
Only selected candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the process of recruitment. It is our aim to inform all other candidates of their status in the recruitment process within 4 weeks after the vacancy has closed. An assessment may be part of the recruitment procedure. Documents that do not match the profile above will not be considered. Internal candidates will have priority, in case of similar results.
Please note that, as part of its recruitment process, ZOA carries out background and reference checks for all candidates. As ZOA participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, all reference checks include a written questionnaire: the “Statement of Conduct”, which will be sent to past employers regarding Misconduct (such as sexual exploitation, abuse or harassment).